Pinoy Friendly Motorcycle Tour in Italy
The opportunity to ride around the beautify country of Italy was a very memorable experience and if given the chance, we would do it again. As a Filipino, knowing where to go, what to do, what bike to ride are some of the questions that we had before the ride but rest assured that the process is very simple! You will also have to rely on the rental company for advice and before you embark on your epic ride in Italy or in other parts of the world.
For trips in Italy, Big Bike Tech highly recommends HP Motorrad (http://www.hpmotorrad.rentals). A very reliable motorcycle rental company in Italy that provided us with a lot of motorcycle options to choose from with very competitive rates. The motorcycle options and prices can be seen in HP Motorrad’s website. They have at 16 branches in Italy – Milan, Rome, Venezia, Torino, Como, Verona, Este, Vicenza, Bergamo, Bologna, Firenze, Olbia, Alghero, Bari, Bolzen, Lugano, and Napoli – one location in Zurich, Switzerland. Our ride started in HP Motorrad’s Milan branch which is less than a 5 km taxi ride away from Linate airport. Just in case you don’t like to bring your gear with you for your trip, you can also rent helmets, jackets, pants, and other motorcycle gear for a minimal fee. HP Motorrad also provides guided tours just in case you would like to have a local show you around.
Before the actual ride, like a month before, HP Motorrad made sure that all our documentation to ride in Italy was in order before we left – we had to get our International Driver’s License and also bring your local Philippine license. Reserving the motorcycle was also very easy, payment was done through credit card wherein a deposit of 30% was made to reserve the motorcycle and the balance to be paid for on the day that the adventure began. Other rental companies will charge you an extra fee if you bring the bike outside of Italy but HP Motorrad didn’t charge this fee. When renting a motorcycle, we highly recommend that you get insurance to cover for any unexpected events during the trip.
Our motorcycle adventure in Europe covered 7 famous destinations in 1,800+ kilometers. It was definitely worth it.
Our suggestion is for you to stay a minimum of 2 nights at each destination so you can have enough time to rest after every ride and to appreciate the sights of each destination you are visiting.
Some things to bring for the trip:
- Loose change for the toll highway
- Tire Patch Kit
- GPS Holder/Cellphone holder (HP Motorrad lent us one)
- Depending on the weather, make sure that you have the proper gear with you.
Things to consider:
- Temperature – Riding in temperatures above 12 degrees Celsius is manageable. Anything below 12 degrees Celsius and additional thermal wear is needed. Please be aware of the road conditions too.
- Riding Gear for this trip
- Klim Carlsbad Jacket
- The Carlsbad jacket is very well vented and is made of Gore-tex which makes it waterproof. No need to bring rain gear. The vents can also be closed just in case you are riding in cooler climates.
- Ordinary Riding Shirt and Thermal Gear (Uniqlo)
- Klim TK1200 Helmet
- Klim Balaclava
- Knox Handroid Pod Leather Gloves
- IXS Boots
- Plan your trip
- Bring extra cash for emergencies
- Keep to your schedule
- Ride responsibly and carefully
- Familiarize yourself with the map and the routes
- In keeping your luggage weight low, you can always wear your riding jacket in the airport. Stuff your helmet with clean clothes to save of space. Putting your socks inside your shoes is also a good idea.
We would also like to say thank you to Matteo and Riccardo of HP Motorrad who has helped us a lot in this very memorable trip. Hope to see you again soon!